Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Anything wheel or tire related post here.

Old 07-21-2012, 02:08 PM

GimmeTorq is on a distinguished road
Default TPMS rebuild needed?

I have to get new tires for my 2010 Fit. Some tire places almost force you to have the TPMS rebuild at the same time. I would rather not mess around with the TPMS.

Have people here done this together with new tires? Cash generation or a real need?
I usually allowed them to change the valve in my non-TPMS cars (as it was not expensive and did have issues once with a leaky valve) but not so sure about TPMS.

I have 31K miles on my Fit.
Old 07-22-2012, 08:46 AM

skittle is on a distinguished road

When I had the tires replaced on my Civic, the tire people explained to me that "rebuilding" the TPMS was essentially replacing the valve. They don't do anything to the sending unit, but it sounds more impressive to say (and charge) for rebuilding the TPMS.
Old 07-22-2012, 09:13 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

That's some good advice there skittle. And I'm sure it's the same for the Fit. We are lucky here none of the babysitter government mandated stuff they trust us to check our tire pressure by ourselves.
Old 07-22-2012, 02:43 PM

skittle is on a distinguished road

I've embraced most mandated safety features like seat belts, abs, break-a-way steering wheels, but the tpms is over kill. I believe that feature is a result of the Firestone/Ford Explorer fiasco; drivers who didn't check tire pressure and wouldn't accept the responsibility of their negligence when the tire failed.

I believe on the newer Fits and other Hondas, the traction control is activated when the tpms light is on. This complicates things if one has snow tires on separate rims without the tpms sending units. Even if one buys the tpms, their activation is propriatary and the dealer makes $30 a tire to do so here. I read that Ford's tpms can be activated using the key fob--far more user friendly.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:17 AM

Thanks for the input. Tire dealers have gotten really pushy about it and I was wondering the real need for it, specially when you don't really know how much experience the tech doing it has and if he may end up doing more harm than good, causing issues where there was none...
Old 08-30-2012, 06:25 AM

Ok, so I did it... The Discount Tire in my area replaces the complete TPS with rebuilt units, which includes not only valves and seals but the sensor itself. I guess that is probably the general practice.
On another topic... Replaced the original size tires with 195/60/15 Yokohama AVID Touring-S. I like the additional grip in these tires but I lost about 2mpg. I never thought the impact on fuel economy was going to be that much. I guess there is no free lunch...
Old 08-30-2012, 07:44 AM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Try pumping them up a bit.
Old 08-31-2012, 07:21 AM

Yep, i should try that. Im running the recommended 32 psi on this tire size too... maybe ill try 34 or 35.
Old 09-10-2012, 06:32 AM

Not much of a difference after increasing psi to 35. Ride got back to the original stiffness so keeping ithem at that pressure. Oh well, I guess I'll take the trade off.