Honda Fit Forums  

Go Back   Honda Fit Forums > Fit Forums > Wheels & Tires

Wheels & Tires Anything wheel or tire related post here.

Old 04-11-2012, 03:58 PM

skittle is on a distinguished road
Default GE8 replacement tires

I will need to replace the tires on my '09 Sport soon. I've read posts on other sites about changing from the 185/55/16 tire which the car comes with to a 205/50/16.

Does anyone have experience with the wider tire on their Sport? Is their any difference in ride or mileage that you've noticed?

The Tire Rack reviews of tires in the 185 size are none to flattering, but there is a new tire available in that size.

Anyway, any feedback any of you can provide will be appreciated.

Last edited by skittle; 04-11-2012 at 07:54 PM. Reason: glaring grammatical error
Old 04-12-2012, 05:09 PM

macbuddy will become famous soon enoughmacbuddy will become famous soon enough
Default More Traction...Less Mileage

skittle,

First of all, I have an '07 GD3. Secondly, I don't know if this is what you are looking for. However, I have gone from OEM 195/55R15 Dunlops, to 195/55R15 Yokohama S. Drives, to 195/50R15 S. Drives, to 215/45R15 Toyo T1Rs, back to 195/50R15 S. Drives, and just recently went to 195/45R15 Toyo T1Rs.

OEM Dunlops to 195/55R15 Yokohama S. Drives
I got over 50K on the Dunlops, and only got 18K on the Yokos. The Yokos held the road a bit better, and were very easy to read.

195/55R15 Yokohama S. Drives to 195/50R15 Yokohama S. Drives

The 50 aspect ratio was even more fun to drive on. I put 18K on that tire, but shelved them when I switched to a used set of 215/45R15 Toyo T1Rs, mounted on Enkei RPF-1s.

195/50R15 Yokohama S. Drives to 215/45R15 Toyo T1Rs

As much as I like the Yokohamas, these Toyos stuck to the road even better. I wasn't sure if liked them better because of the tire, or because of the lighter rim.

215/45R15 Toyo T1Rs to 195/55R15 Yokohama S. Drives
Thinking that the better performance was due to the lighter rim, I thought I'd give the S. Drives another shot. After switching back, I felt that the Toyos were in a way, a bit stickier than the Yokos, however, for the price, the Yokohamas were nearly as good. Also, I was able to enjoy getting 61K of fun filled miles out of the S. Drives.

195/55R15 Yokohama S. Drives to 195/45R15 Toyo T1Rs
When it was time to replace the Yokos, I was tempted to try the Toyos again. After pricing the two, I found a better price on the Toyos. This time I went with the 45 aspect tire. I am enjoying this set as much as the Yokohamas. I am feeling a bit quicker turn-in with this set over the 50 series Yokos.

What I looked for in a tire
Smooth, quiet ride, good price, exceptional grip, light weight, predictable handling, good tire life, and fun to drive on. I read a lot of the TireRack reviews to get an idea of which tire to go with.

Getting back to your question
Going from 185 to 205 tires might have an advantage in the turns, in braking, and when accelerating. Speedometer values might change if the tire diameters differ. Mileage and performance might suffer due to the heavier, wider 205 tire.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:06 PM
Administrator

claymore is on a distinguished road

Good report on tires Mike.
Old 04-12-2012, 07:52 PM

Macbuddy--

Thanks for the information. What I want in a tire is similar to what you look for --I'm particularly interested in something a bit more quiet than the Bridgestones that the car came with. As they wear, they have gotten quite loud. Thanks again.
Old 04-12-2012, 09:08 PM

Default Both rode quiet...all the way to the cords.

Quote:
Originally Posted by skittle View Post
...I'm particularly interested in something a bit more quiet than the Bridgestones that the car came with. As they wear, they have gotten quite loud.
Believe it or not, both the Yokohama S. Drives, and ToyoT1Rs were quiet all the way to the end. That is until the T1R corded. The only noise I got from the Toyo was the cord slapping against the fender well.

Old 04-14-2012, 08:17 AM

I will check those two tires out though they would have to be in the 205 width as they are unavailable in the 185 for my car. Again, thanks for the information.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:07 AM

sooznd is on a distinguished road

MacBuddy--You must put a lot of miles on your car. For me that would be replacing tires every 15k or so.
Old 04-14-2012, 11:55 AM

Default Love to drive my Fit!

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooznd View Post
MacBuddy--You must put a lot of miles on your car. For me that would be replacing tires every 15k or so.
Yeah, besides loving to drive my Fit, work has me commuting all over the California Central Valley. I presently have 162K miles on the car...and I'll be adding more tonight when the group of us head down to the Socal Meet.

Maybe on the way back, we'll swing by through Colorado!
Old 04-14-2012, 12:18 PM

sooznd is on a distinguished road

Wow-That is a lot of miles for a 2007! From your perspective, Colorado is just around the corner.